Sunday, November 7, 2010

Have you filled your cup first??

I greeted the day today with a mixture of exhaustion and relief.  As much as I love supporting the school with their fair and helping to coordinate and run craft, it really couldn't be at a busier time for me.  I feel as though I put my life and work aside to assist on and off throughout the year and then a big chunk at this time of year.  I enjoy doing it but then there is the other side of the equation, what have I neglected and now need to catch up on.  I once read this amazing saying which has stuck with me since I first saw it.  "When you say yes to something or someone what are you saying no to"  So I try to remember that before I say yes to a commitment.  For me it is so easy to be the accomodating people pleaser, which makes me feel good because I have contributed to something and done an act of service, however the flip side is sort of like a hangover the residue of the adrenaline kick of trying to squeeze more into an already overloaded schedule.  Another great metaphor which I have heard is "When your cup is filled and overflowing only then you can give from your saucer."  Okay it sounds kind of corny, but it really does make sense and it's an easy visual to have.  Fill your own cup first, when you try to give from a half filled cup you only do a diservice to yourself and the people your are helping are probably only getting a half hearted effort from you anyway.

I have to say that it really is most of the same parents and teachers that year in and year out  put their hands up to help out, to organise, to run and then ultimately to donate and support these events.  It's these amazing people that make it happen and go beyond their job description of parent and teacher.  It's not always about donating or spending money either, that's easy enough, but when you give time and energy and enthusiasm, that I believe, is even more priceless at these events, because without all that positive energy and momentum it wouldn't happen and wouldn't be very successful.

That said it was a wonderful and fun day, perfect weather, beautiful sunshine, a great time chatting and laughing with friends and the kids just had the best day ever.  After all it is all for them.  My day started at the fair at 12.30pm and we didn't finish packing up our stall until 7.45pm a very loooong day.  Needless to say I had a very early night last night.

So today has been catch up day around here and I am feeling a little more on top of things but there is still a lot more to be done before I feel like I am really back under control.

Anyway I didn't get a chance to show some wall decor I created for the craft stall at our fair.  I just loved how these canvases turned out and I almost didn't want to give them up.  However, lucky I did because they both sold within the first 1/2 hour of the fair starting which always makes me feel good, when my artwork is appreciated.  I had lots of fun making them and most of the supplies can be found on site.  All that you need to purchase that isn't on site is modge podge, a canvas, butterfly and flower nestabilities and paint brush.  The rest can all be found here.

Dimensional Butterfly Canvas




Vintage Flower Dimensional Canvas




That's the weekend update for me.  Off to prep for the week ahead.

Enjoy the last few hours of the weekend!!

Anna xx

2 comments:

Jess said...

These are both gorgeous creations, I'm not surprised they sold quickly!!

Sometimes I know what you mean about saying yes and neglecting other things... sadly all of us do this to some degree - but as long as you're doing what you love, I think it's worth it!

Meri said...

The canvases are beautiful and you can always whip up another, you are a pro!!
I love the cup and saucer analogy..since you told me about it a few weeks ago i try to ask that question every day...a great way to check in on yourself..take care xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...